Holiday in all weathers…


Hradec Králové | Chlumec nad Cidlinou | Nový Bydžov | Hrádek | Battlefield 1866 | Smiřice | Třebechovice

Jewish Cemetery

Jewish Cemetery

Jewish CemeteryThe cemetery was founded in 1520 and it is the third oldest Jewish cemetery in Bohemia after the cemeteries in Prague and Kolín. Until 1885, not only the members of the local numerous community, but also Jews from closer or further parts of the region were buried here. There are about 1,480 gravestones on the area of over half a hectare. The oldest preserved gravestone from dark fine-grained sandstone with a carved inscription in Hebrew dates back to 1577 (converted to the Christian numbering of years). Most of the gravestones come from the second half of the 17th century and the 18th century. The relief Hebrew inscriptions are decorated with different architectonic elements and typical symbols (hands held in benediction - priestly family of Cohens, water jug - the tribe of Levi, lion - the name Jehuda etc). A massive gravestone from the beginning of the 17th century with a sprig and human face in a decorated cartouche is of particular interest. Among several marble gravestones, the gravestone of Enoch Wolf with the relief of a wolf stands out. From the end of the 18th century onwards, gravestones with incised inscriptions in two languages (Hebrew and German) prevail. Furthermore, there are gravestones with marked neogothic features and various obelisks, some from and stone, some from polished granite. Your attention will be definitely drawn to majestic tombs with two steles. Also, there are nearly seventy Austrian, Prussian and Saxon soldiers from the 1866 battle buried here.
Opening hours : by prior arrangement in the museum, phone: +420 495 493 086
Address : Information Center and Public Library, Husova třída 1370, 504 01 Nový Bydžov, phone: +420 495 493 269
www.czcom.cz/pub/knihovna
Municipal Office Nový Bydžov, Masarykovo náměstí 1, 504 01 Nový Bydžov, phone: +420 495 703 911
www.novybydzov.cz

This document was co-financed by the European Union. Our thanks for the realization of the project go to the partners of the project.